The Walker County Historical Commission has commissioned a historical marker to be placed at the corner of Old Madisonville Road and Pleasant Street in Huntsville. The site was the location of the Bishop Ward Normal and Collegiate Institute which was founded in 1883. That year, 10 students were enrolled and attended school in a two-story brick building on the property that had been purchased by a board of trustees who were affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Students took a traditional liberal arts curriculum. But there was also a manual labor department where students could learn a trade.
A long-forgotten HBCU to get a historical marker in huntsville, alabama. 2020. Journal of Blacks in Higher Education (Online) (Feb 05)